Hello Readers, the one of the very big question for all the civil engineering graduates comes after graduation is in which sector shall we go because Civil Engineering is a very vast field and every field needs certain qualification and also scope or future in every field is different for example if you go for position of Site Engineer then it will take at-least 5–10 years to become project manager with good salary and power, but if you go for designing field possibly within 5 years you will get good position and salary. Read full article below about job role and current opportunities available, so that once you know the job role for different field in Civil engineering you can apply for those companies.
lets start every possible field and scope of that field :
- Site Engineer: The job of site engineer is to manage site operations so that the project can be completed in time and within the allotted budget. Its a tough job and needs dedication towards your work. The salary you get in initial level as Site engineer will be between Rs. 10,000–20,000 depending upon your performance during interview and size of project. Benefits of this role is that you can easily get job anywhere in India as Building and Road construction is common thing around us. Sticking to one company can give you Project Manager post in 4–5 years or after 3–4 projects but till then you have to be very rough and tough as till then you will directly have to manage with labors and vendors and also possible you have to relocate PAN India for first few years. Most of the site engineers of big companies be like today in Kashmir and Tomorrow in Kanyakumari so you must have to put your family aside for few years till you learn everything in your field deeply. The another positive part of this job is that you will always get food and accommodation from your company’s side so all your salary will be saved.
- Building Planner: This is majorly an Architect’s work but now a days civil engineers are also getting into it. Learning AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, Lumion is very common for Civil Engineers now a days so if you want to do a 9–5 office job, sitting in AC room then this job is for you. But its not easy to get into any company as planner as it needs advance level qualification/certification with good hands in software and also great communication skills where you need to understand client about his needs and then you have to convince him with designs, sometimes clients as for illegitimate changes which are not feasible as per civil engineering standards then you have to convince them too. Scope of this field is vast and lavish as within 4–5 years you can even start your own firm. But if you are trying to become freelancer or doing House elevation/planning just by taking work from your own network then it would be better to work at-least one year in any of the designing firm so that you can understand the corporate functioning, how to deal with clients, how to convert leads into sales, what to do and not to do as owner of company you will learn all this only when you join growing firm.
- Cost Estimator: This is a mix of site job + back office job where you have to visit site just to take measurements and prepare a bill of quantities required in construction work. This comes under Pre-Construction Project Management where you have just barren land and you need to find out quantities required in earthwork (excavation or filling), total steel, concrete, glass panels, electric wiring and stuff and each and every thing required in construction of any project. Once the Geo-technical team done with their surveying part and designing team done with their planning/elevation part, then your work will start. So you have Geo-tech report and designs with specification sheet (what things are gonna use) you have to prepare a bill of quantities which includes from fan required for watchmen to thousands of tone of steel. This is a very deep research job where you have to imagine yourself at site and think what else other then given specification is required to complete this project. So if you want a site job with your own AC Office, this must be for you.
- Geo-Technical Surveyor: Before the construction begins almost all big budget projects needs a Geo-tech Team approval so that they know about the structure of land beneath surface. Depending upon soil’s shear strength, density and other factors the designing team can design the structure which can be bearable to soil. So if you are interested on geology and want to do something out of league then this job is for you because mostly geo-tech surveyors have to do surveys near hills or valleys. Salary for Junior Surveyor will vary from Rs. 18,000–25,000 depending upon your interview performance and knowledge/qualification on geology and geo-tech.
- Structural Engineer: The Most important part of Construction is its structure. Other aesthetic stuffs comes after that and to design that structure you must have to have deep knowledge of RCC, Steel codes and softwares like Staad-Pro. This is a very responsible job as you are going to design dams and bridges which are going to be used for and by thousands of people living around it, so a small mistake may cause a very big damage. After getting certifications for structural analysis software you can easily get a job of Rs 15,000 to 25,000 depending upon your performance in interview.
- Miscellaneous Jobs for Civil engineers: After B.Tech if you want to pursue some specifications like M.tech in traffic engineering, environmental engineering then chances of getting a job on that specification will be very high and also M.Tech holders get very good salary as a fresher then that of B.Tech 2–3 years experience holders so if you are financially sound and you have time to do M.Tech then it would be best as there are some Jobs like LEED Design engineer, Environmental Engineers etc needs M.tech and without that even with 10 years of experience you can not get higher posts in department.
Other than this you have option to get a part of PSUs. With good marks in GATE (nearly 65) you can appear for interview of any PSU where you can get medium level position and a good salary (nearly 1 lakh per month) .
You can apply through http://naukri.com where you can get latest job listing but most of those companies are low level companies where job growth is not so much and if you are looking for good growth companies then below are some companies in which you can apply.:
- Jaypee Group
- Gammon India Ltd.
- Balaji Railroad Systems Ltd
- Punj LLoyd Group,
- Jaiprakash Associates
- Nagarjuna Construction Company,
- GMR Group
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC)
- Expert Technology
- Hiranandani Construction Pvt. Ltd
- Godrej Properties
- Prestige estates
- Oberoi Reality
- IVRCL Infrastructure & Projects Ltd
- Dr. Kelkar Consultants Pvt. Ltd
- Larsen and Toubro
- Nircon Engineering Consultants
- RDS Projects Ltd
- Macro Marvel Infrastructure Corporation Ltd
- Potential Consultants
- Simplex Projects Ltd
- Vadakar and Associates, etc.
- Shapoorji Pallonji & Company
- Sobha Developers Limited
- (Please comment us more names in replies below)
But Remember that most of these companies hire employees with reference so if you know someone who is already working on any of the above company then contact them so that they can refer you and inform you about latest vacancies available in their company
Public Sector Companies hiring Civil Engineering Graduates: (Nealy 65 marks in GATE to appear in these companies interview and now a days most of them are also taking their own test for recruitment)
- NTPC – National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
- BHEL – Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- ONGC – Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- HAL – Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- GAIL – Gas Authority of India Limited
- SAIL – Steel Authority of India Limited
- IOCL – Indian Oil Corporation
- BSNL – Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- ISRO – Indian Space Research Organisation
Please share this article among your friends and comment us about this article so that we can make this article perfect and also if you want us to make article on any topic please comment us.
Also if you have any vacancy in your company please comment below so that if any reader is looking for job he can contact that company, it will be very helpful for them.
Thanks and don’t forget to share.